Wednesday 30 December 2009

Getting All Emotional

It's new year tomorrow. A magical time of the year where all social rules end. It becomes "acceptable" to get pished beyond belief and a sign of a good night is having some one like me help you, or waking up in a police cell.

It's also the time of year I get all emotional and slushy. I volunteer for the shift. 6pm-6am 09-10.
I did it last year. We don't keep assualt figures for this shift. They go unreported, unless it is really bad.
So I'll be on the streets of my city as part of an 80 strong medical team for around 100,000 people. Last year I had a huge colleague that can smell trouble. I was with him the year before too (when I was young, and clueless.)
This year, because I've got "experience" "under my belt" (I thought my trousers were under there)
I won't be with the same guy. I'll be with someone of similar or less experience. So I am bricking it a bit. Still, as we are "newer" we will be in a safer area of the city. (i.e. the one with police everywhere.) I just have to push that wee red "panic" button and instantly my people tell the police's people to throw police officers at us.  So that's not too bad.
Still, if I remeber one thing he told me: "If your guts feel bad, be careful. If you can identify any danger walk away and call in police. If it's just your guts, stand further back."

I'll be sure to let you all know I'm alive in the new year. lol
I'll be fine. I just worry way too much. (You might have noticed by now...)

Wishing you all an amazing ambulance-free, trouble-free New Year.

1 comment: